St. Luke’s Episcopal Church in Baton Rouge was founded in 1956 by a handful of worshippers who first met in a private home, then at Goodwood Elementary School, and next in temporary buildings erected by parishioners. With the gift of seven acres of land from Mrs. Eleanor Witter, the owner of the former Goodwood Plantation, St. Luke’s members realized their dream of a permanent church home at what is now 8833 Goodwood Boulevard. The first permanent building, our present church, was completed in July 1964. Our temporary buildings were moved and refurbished on the Goodwood location. Three of those original buildings are still in use today as offices for the parish, our day school and our youth ministry. Since the 1960s St. Luke’s members have supported the construction of other buildings including Pope Hall, Witter Hall, the Music Suite, the Library, Blue Room and Nursery.
St. Luke’s Day School was founded in 1957 and has become the largest ministry of our church, offering grades Pre-K through 8. Through support from school families and church members, St. Luke’s School campus now includes classroom space in the Schwing Building and the Noland Building, and the Bishop Charles E. Jenkins Activity Center.
Rectors and priests who have led St. Luke’s parish through the years include the late Rt. Rev’d Clarence C. Pope, Jr., who went on to become Bishop of Fort Worth, and then returned to Baton Rouge in retirement; the Rt. Rev’d Charles E. Jenkins who served as rector of St. Luke’s from 1985 until his consecration as Bishop of the Diocese of Louisiana in 1997; the late Rev. Eric B. Williams and the Rev. Canon R. Brien Koehler; followed by interim rector Rev. Canon David L. Seger. The Rev. Bryan Owen is our current rector and we invite you to come and see what God is doing at St. Luke's.
Starting with just eighty confirmed Episcopalians who said “yes” to God’s call to establish St. Luke’s in 1956, today’s congregation now includes more than 1500 baptized members.